Sunday, December 7, 2014

Positive Body Image in Media - Meghan Trainor




Many popular singers have released songs promoting a positive body image. This summer for example, singer and songwriter Meghan Trainor, released her single “All About That Bass”. In an interview with Gary Trust from Billboard, Trainor explained that she wrote the song, not just for others, but her herself, “because I’ve struggled with [body image] since I was very young.” In another interview with Entertainment Weekly, Trainor was asked is she originally wrote the song for herself or if she intended to give it to another person. Trainor replied, "It was one of the first sessions where I walked in and said, “I don’t wanna write about anyone else today. I’m sick of trying to pretend that I’m Rihanna, or pretend I’m a different human. Let’s just write a great song for the world.” And when he started making the beat I freestyled, “It’s pretty clear I ain’t no size two,” and I was like, “Girl anthem. This is for me. Let’s do it.”
Other artists have also branched out and dared to write songs promoting a positive, natural body image such as Colbie Caillat and John Legend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment